Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry dealing with teeth arrangement and bite functionality by prevention, correction of teeth irregularities and bite functionality adjustments in cases of misaligned bites and jaw problems. Arranged teeth provide conditions for better and easier cleaning, which reduces the risk of tooth decay (caries) and gum disease development.
Curved teeth and inappropriate bites are registered usually in infancy and the main way to straighten them is to place an orthodontic appliance for a certain period of time, which is individual for each patient. The earlier the treatment begins, the greater the probability of achieving a complete correction of the position of the teeth. For children, it is important to visit an orthodontist, as teeth can also be distorted by harmful oral habits such as childhood thumb-sucking habit.
ABOUT THE TREATMENT
Orthodontic therapy is conducted after an individual specialized consultation in several stages:
Stage 1 – Initial check and diagnostics – involves panoramic and cephalometric X-ray images, and taking impressions from the teeth. The impressions are used to make stone-cast replicas (diagnostic casts) of the teeth. A picture of the smile and face of the patient is taken as well. Based on the impressions, photos and the required X-rays, a precise analysis and treatment plan is prepared and agreed upon with the patient.
Stage 2 – Treatment – Once the treatment plan is agreed upon with the patient and/or the parent, the orthodontic appliance is ready for being placed. Important guidelines and instructions for oral hygiene are provided. Check-ups at periodic intervals are also scheduled to allow the orthodontist to evaluate the progress and make adjustments if necessary.
Stage 3 – Final Phase of Treatment – In most cases, the orthodontic treatment is followed by a special device that prevents the teeth and the bite to move. The tissues in our body have a “memory” and, after the appliance has been removed, for an extended period of time, they try to return the teeth back to their original position. In order to preserve the results of orthodontic treatment it is necessary to wear retainers
At our Dentatime Clinic, we offer a number of solutions for arranging the irregularities in the teeth by placing an orthodontic appliances as follows:
- Braces (ceramic, sapphire or stainless steel) - Suitable for any age - children, parents, even elderly people. Each brace system consists of 2 basic elements, which are called conditioners and arches. The arc that is placed in the locks is of perfect shape, and by ``tying`` it into the brace, it pulls every curved tooth to itself. So the tooth row is arranged.
- Removable braces (trays) - most commonly used with children. They have a plastic body, wire elements and a metal screw. The wire elements and the screws are fixed into the plastic body to achieve the desired arrangement. Their main feature of being removable is also a disadvantage, as the effect might be delayed in cases where patients spend less than advised hours in wearing them, because the result comes with wearing.
- Myofunctional braces – Myobrace are used to straighten teeth without braces and represents preventive system, specifically aimed to help modelling irregularities and guiding the growth of teeth and jaws. The best results are achieved with children from 3 to 15 years of age, but can be used later. The devices are made of soft rubber-like material and are worn at night and 1-2 hours during the daytime. With this system, we can achieve the correction of harmful habits (thumb-sucking), proper jaw development, dental alignment, optimization of facial growth.
- Aligners present the most up-to-date and modern alignment method of crowded teeth with a set of individually made transparent trays (clear aligners). This is the most appropriate method for invisible straightening of teeth. All ages from 9 to 60 year olds are applicable. Although they are removable, they should be worn constantly except for feeding and washing. Invisalign treatment is the most advanced clear aligner system in the world, backed by more than two decades of innovation. Unlike braces, Invisalign clear aligners are removable and virtually invisible made from the exclusive SmartTrack material. A series of Invisalign aligners are custom-made for you, to move your teeth in the sequence determined by your doctor.
|Few advantages of the Aligner in comparison to the braces||Aligner||Braces|
|Treatment of simple and complex cases|
|Removable – you can enjoy the food and things you love|
|There is no difficulty in cleaning the teeth|
|There are no injuries from broken wire elements|
|Easily visible result at each stage of treatment|
|Less frequent and shorter visits to orthodontists|
|Smaller forces are used to move the teeth, therefore less painful|
The orthodontic treatmenets require the teeth to be completely healthy and professionally cleaned. After placing the specific appliance, guidelines are given to follow specific oral hygiene.
How Long Does It Take?
The duration of orthodontic treatment depends on the type of solution and the complexity of the problem. It can take months to a few years to get full satisfaction from your own smile that remains for a lifetime.
The value of orthodontic treatment is also determined by the individual plan and the type of appliance in the following price segments:
- Removable braces - from 400 BGN to 800 BGN
- Myobrace from 400 BGN to 600 BGN
- Stainless steel braces - from 3 500 BGN to 4 000 BGN
- Aesthetic (ceramic and sapphire braces) - from 4 500 BGN to 5 600 BGN
- Aligners (almost invisible) - from 4 200 BGN to 7 000 BGN
Moving a few teeth to facilitate subsequent prosthesis – placing a bridge, implant – up to 1 000 BGN